Do you have a green thumb? Do you enjoy gardening and nurturing plants until they grow? Do you enjoy using cannabis?
If you answered “yes” to the above questions, you might have given some thought to growing your own cannabis. After all, you are an expert at growing plants.
While you can certainly grow your own cannabis if you wish, you will need to think it through before you do. Growing weed is a little more work than you may realize. Without the proper care and conditions, your cannabis won’t flower or won’t be of good quality if it does.
Why Grow Your Own Cannabis Indoors?
Before we look at what you need to start growing cannabis, let’s look at why you may want to do so in the first place.
Some people may find growing cannabis as an opportunity to start a new hobby and learn a little in the process. Finding a new hobby you can do at home is a benefit. Plus, if you find you excel at growing your own cannabis, you may want to try your hand at other types of gardening.
Growing your own cannabis also gives you total control over the product you consume. You choose the strain or strains you want to grow, decide when they flower, and know precisely what has been used to grow your plant. For many, growing cannabis gives them peace of mind over the product they consume.
When you decide to grow your cannabis indoors, you also control the environment and can grow it year-round, regardless of what the weather is like outside. You can adjust temperature settings, humidity, and lighting to create the perfect environment for your plants.
Finally, you can save some money in the long run. Purchasing the equipment needed to start growing weed can be expensive. But if you do well growing your product and continue to do it in the long run, you’ll see a return on your investment and save money on purchasing weed from a dispensary.
What It Takes to Grow Pot
Before you start growing weed, you need to take time to think about what all that will entail. Growing cannabis requires:
- An understanding of how cannabis grows and its various growing and flowering cycles
- Special equipment and enough space to hold it all
- Time to devote to caring for your plants
- Money for the initial upfront costs required to set up your indoor grow space
What You Need to Start Growing
So, if you think growing cannabis sounds like something you want to try, how do you get started? We break down what you need to do to get started with your new project.
- Decide where your grow room will be. You will need to choose a dedicated place for your plants. Because your plants require a specific environment, you will need a space that is solely for your plants and where they can stay without having to be moved. This room can be anything from your basement to a spare room in your house, or even a closet.
- Create the perfect climate. Once you have your room chosen, you’ll need to get the equipment needed to create the conditions your plants will need to thrive. Creating the perfect climate can involve purchasing everything from air conditioning to a heater, a dehumidifier or a humidifier, or all of the above. If you use your basement, which is often cold and damp, you’ll want a heater to warm it up to the correct temperatures and a dehumidifier to control moisture.
- Get your lighting. Did you know that the lighting cannabis plants are exposed to can trigger the flowering cycle? Having light you can control is essential to successfully growing plants. Your plants will need about 18 hours of light a day when they are in their vegetative state and 12 hours when flowering. So, not only will you need strong lights to give them the sun they need, but you’ll also want to make sure the light doesn’t leak outside of the grow room.
- Think about airflow. Cannabis plants need fresh air and carbon dioxide to grow and thrive. To give them this, you’ll need to ensure your grow room has air movement. This will also help get the hot air out and let cool air in. You’ll need exhaust fans and port fans to keep the air flowing properly for your plants.
- Purchase tools. As you grow your cannabis, you’ll need to keep a close eye on the temperature, humidity, and airflow in your grow room. To help you keep track of all this, you’ll need various tools.
- Get growing equipment. You will also need the equipment required to grow your plants. This will include soil, growing containers, and the seeds or plants themselves. You’ll need to do some research to determine what types of containers and plants are the best option for you.
Keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive list. There are more things you may find you need to create the perfect grow room. Be sure to do thorough research as you prepare your grow room so you’ll have everything you need.
Growing cannabis indoors at home is appealing to many people. Though it requires an investment up front to set up your indoor growing space, it is well worth it for many home growers. Just be sure you do your research so you know what you need and how to properly care for your cannabis plants.
If growing your plants sounds like more than you want to take on, you can, of course, purchase cannabis and cannabis products from online dispensaries. Just be sure they are reputable and have a good reputation so you know you are getting a good, quality plant.